Established bush to bare root transplant?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Crandall, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Crandall

Crandall Member

Hi:

I have a Double Delight rose tree that has not been doing well for quite a while and I need to relocate it.

Is it possible or advisable to take an established rosh bush down to bare root condition for transplanting? I'm thinking it needs a new start.

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

You could do that in our climate here soon after dormancy, however given your climate, where roses may not go dormant, I would recommend that you call a rosarian in your area. The consulting rosarian program is available to answer questions such as these. Check this link for the rose society contact closest to you, and someone there will be happy to help. Is there a reason, other than a suspicion of poor soil, that you do not want to dig a root ball along with the plant? Do not fertilize your tree until it is moved and do not prune it to help induce a dormant period. Check with your local rosarians if they recommend removing all of the leaves if you can achieve a dormant period. More and more of the rosarians I know are taking the time to remove all of the leaves in fall to help combat fungal disease, which could very well benefit this tree as well.

3. Crandall

Crandall Member

Being a novice, I found your reply helpful.

Thanks!