Rose Tree

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by tylerarb, Sep 17, 2006.

1. tylerarb

tylerarb Member

Can anyone tell me what a "rose tree" is and what it looks like?

Thanks for any help!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Commonly a rose bush grafted on a standard, to make a lollipop shape.

3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Roses are typically grafted onto a rootstock, but in the case of a rose tree, the standard that Ron is talking about is what is grafted onto the rootstock. The rose bush, of which you will see the blooms, is then grafted onto that standard or trunk, and it will typically have a rounded shape, but some have a lovely weeping shape. They take longer to produce, and thus are more expensive. Since you write from Michigan, please know that these are more tender than grafted roses, in part because the second graft is entirely exposed to the elements. You could grow one there, but you would have to bring it into the garage for the winter or bury the entire tree during dormancy.

4. tylerarb

tylerarb Member

Many thanks to Ron and Laurie for the helpful responses. The difficulty growing these and the cold Michigan climate explains why I haven't seen any around here, though I am sure that someone probably has grown them successfully, even in these cold winters. Again, this is a wonderful site and I deeply appreciate the help.