Identification: My plant needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Luvliz80, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Luvliz80

Luvliz80 Member

Well my name is Elizabeth Ramon and I have a problem. My father gave me plant as he left the country for good......and now its leaves are turning yellow and falling off I dont know what to do. I give plant food once every 3 weeks I water it every other day. What Iam I doing wrong. Iam new to this so I really dont know how to the plants picture directly on to my post.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

you are watering it way too much!.. pothos need to be moist and then let the soil dry out and then water it again

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Water well when you do it, but then leave more time in between watering before doing it again.

4. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

may also be root bound

5. Luvliz80

Luvliz80 Member

What dose rootbound Mean Iam so new to it I dont even know what pothos means. Thanks !

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

root bound means that the plant has alot of rots growing and it is time to repot it .. allthough sme plants like to be rootbound .. but that is not one of them .. you can see just how badly rootbund it is ,..by seeing more roots them dirt when you take it out of the pot... then it is time to repot it in another pot just a little bit bigger then the one it came out of ...
    Pothos is just the name for that plant ... but a pothos is a type of philodendron ..

Marn

7. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

if you do decide to repot,remember to break up the roots a bit before replanting will help them spread out.

8. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Agree with Rima....let it dry out and water well once/week.

9. Luvliz80

Luvliz80 Member

Well I thank you all for being so swift in your replys I really have grown attached to that plant and would hate anything to happen to it. I will take every ones advice and I will keep you posted.

10. Luvliz80

Luvliz80 Member

Well Okay but I water it from the bottom so when will I know that the soil is dry.

11. Rima

Rima Active Member

You carefully stick your finger in the soil (you really should be watering from the top, like the rain does, because it helps wash out fertilizer salts and chemicals, etc.) for about 2" (try not to break up roots) and see how dry it is, though it won't tell you how wet it might be lower down among the deep roots. Really, look at your plant every day to familiarize yourself with it in general, and when it starts looking a bit droopy, tired, compared to when you first started to observe it (the day after a good watering) then it's probably time to water, but submerging the pot is not a good idea - just pour water on until it comes out the drain holes. Have you considered repotting - a good idea would be to remove 1/3 or so of the existing soil and replace it with perlite mixed in well, which would allow water to drain out faster and not sit around rotting roots (I would assume the soil is 'potting' and therefore mostly peat, which holds onto water too long).

12. Luvliz80

Luvliz80 Member

Well I will take a picture of tomorrow to show you how it is doing I think it is doing alittle better I have been reading all the great advice and lets see how this goes for us.

13. Chaz

Chaz Member

All good advice. Not knowing if this plant is outside or inside, I'd also make sure the bottom of your pot is above-above the drained water. Put a couple sticks or something under the pot bottom if you've a catch basin when you water so the salts and other chem's can completely drain out and away. Good luck.

14. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Elizabeth,

Do you have a new picture yet? Did you repot it?

Newt