How much sun do Maples need in the winter

Discussion in 'Maples' started by agentf1, Sep 7, 2006.

1. agentf1

agentf1 Member

How much sun do Maples need in the winter after they have lost their leaves? Can i put them in a garage during the coldest part of winter to protect them from the deep freeze ansd for how long of a period of time without hurting them?

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Garage is great, but not til Dec. and back out in Feb. I question though why you think they need to be protected at all in Phil? They're maple trees, and need freezing months every winter to renew themselves properly. Who garages all those street maples... and they seem to do just fine!

3. agentf1

agentf1 Member

I only planned on doing this on the coldest of nights < 15 degrees faherenheit.

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Unless they're specialty Japanese maples and your particular microclimate is colder than most in your area, I really wouldn't worry at all.

5. agentf1

agentf1 Member

Cool. Will do.

6. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

You may have to worry about Japanese Maple roots if they are in pots. If they are planted in the ground the roots are protected and kept warmer than the air. Below 15 degrees the roots can suffer. Bury the pots and mulch or bring them into an unheated garage when the temp is very low.

Dale