Purple Flowers with Tassels

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by JohnHarvey, Sep 10, 2006.

1. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

Hey!

This flower was from a recent trip to Manning Park. It was growing next to Lightning lake. The plant was between 2 and 3 feet tall and had a few purple flowers on the top. What struck me was the "tassels" - curly bits of plant matter. I believe I've seen this plant on the shore of Garibaldi lake before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John

Attached Files:

2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Might it be an epilobium, in which case the "tassels" would be the remnants of the seed pod?

3. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

4. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I found a photo of E. glaberrimum that looks pretty close too, but it it is a pretty variable species.

5. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

I considered that one as well (PoCBC notes the variability of species in this area) but the leaves in the photos on the usda site (http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=EPGL) don't match mine - E. glaberrimum appears to be flatter and waxier. Just my humble (uneducated) opinion though.

John

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fireweeds of this type are common garden pests here, you should have no trouble finding plenty of material to study.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

...though some of the subalpine ones are not garden pests, so identifying this to species requires more than comparisons to what you'll find at lower elevations.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Aforementioned handbook has a Key to the Willowherbs (Epilobium) at the beginning of the Onagraceae (Evening-Primrose Family) section. You will have to use keys and descriptions to nail this one.

It seems to me small-flowered species like one shown in first post are not characteristic of true subalpine areas. Consistent with this Pojar/Mackinnon describe both E. minutum and E. ciliatum as occurring "to middle elevations."