Five flowers from the sunflower family

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Mbc, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Mbc

Mbc Member

I guess it is impossible to identify the species from the flowers alone. But perhaps it is possible to say something about the genera.

Many thanks,
    Michael

Attached Files:

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

#3 possibly Coreopsis tinctoria? In not another Coreopsis? Harry

3. Mbc

Mbc Member

Coreopsis tinctoria for #3 looks fine to me. It seems to be the only Coreopsis species in BC, which has reddish brown ray florets bases. Thank you,

Michael

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

These are posted in PNW Wildflower forum, but you ae located in Germany. Can you narrow down where the pictures were taken? That might help in the ID. As another guess I would think Gaillardia for #2 if it was local to this area. The last two look like Western Mountain Aster Symphyotrichum spathulatum, (synonym Aster occidentalis) but there are a couple similar species one with a larger flower/different leaf shape than the other. If memory serves, they are both from the same genus.
    Harry

5. Mbc

Mbc Member

All pictures were made by my sister during a stay in western Canada. More precisely:

Picture 1: Manning Provincial Park or at Okanagan Lake
    Picture 2 and 4: Yoho National Park or Kootenay National Park
    Picture 3: somewhere between Port Alberni and Victoria
    Picture 5: Wells Gray Provincial Park

Unfortunaley I can't say anything about the habitats, where the flowers grew.

Gaillardia for #2 looks good for me. The only possible species in western Canada then would be G. aristata?
    And what concers #4 and #5 - I don't have much hope, that it is possible to say something about the species. I would already be happy, if I knew, it isn't a Erigeron species.

Michael

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006