Goldfish Plant

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by angmering, Sep 27, 2005.

1. angmering

angmering Member

We recently purchased a Goldfish Plant to hang in our kitchen. It has lovely glossy foliage and will receive medium light. Can anyone tell us how to care for this plant - watering, fertilizing, etc.? Thanks!!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Is this an aquatic plant you plant in a goldfish bowl to keep the fish fed?

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think we can assume this is a Columnea sp. or a Nematanthus sp. Both are called goldfish plants because the flowers resemble goldfish.

Angmering, do you know which plant you have? You can post a photo if you have one. Or try a search of the two to see if one looks like your plant.

4. lisafremont

lisafremont Member

I love goldfish plants and would further love more discussion on this subject.

A friend has two thriving nematanthus plants in a north window. They bloom year-round. She has allowed me to take cuttings which I have tried to root with little success.

I bought my own plant in a hanging pot very reasonably and was thrilled only to see it drop leaves and die.

Last year I purchased two sets of three seedlings of nematanthus varieties and columnea varieties. I was nursing them along and owing to a broken ankle which interfered with my regular houseplant tending, I did manage to have three survivors:
    columnea california gold
    columnea fujiyama
    nematanthus rio

I have potted them all up and all are thriving, the nematanthus is doing especially well. I have started taking cuttings and am attempting to root them. One sprouted roots and is now in the soil and growing.

What astonishes me is how well I have done with these seedlings while failing utterly with the hanging pot and the goldfish cuttings.

Since my successful friend keeps her plants in a north window, I am keeping mine there as well.

Can anyone suggest how long it takes to coax blooms out? Any care tips would be gratefully received!

5. E.T.

E.T. Member

Goldfish plants, at least what I have tried and found to work: like to get watered and dry out, in a light porous mixture, that can let go of the water - so "no wet feet" or the roots will die (and so will the top, starting with the tips). I have as well had most luck with the plant in a non-southern exposiure, but I think the key to flowers is the watering - or lack of water........ like many other plants either they grow or they bloom....... just my 2 cents

Enjoy them,

E.T.

6. lisafremont

lisafremont Member

Thanks, E.T. I will try to follow your suggestion and I think you may be on the money.

Meanwhile I have taken a new batch of cuttings from my friend's goldfish and most of them sprouted roots, I am trying again!

The ones I am coaxing along from the seedlings I got last summer are doing pretty well. I make little cuttings and plant them as soon as they root. They are doing pretty well.

If and when I ever get blooms, I will report back!!

7. BZB

BZB Member

Thanks for the goldfish advice !!! I hope it will work.