Can I 'Miracle Gro' A Monkey Puzzle Tree?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Paulina, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    Just wondering if Miracle Gro would help a Monkey Puzzle Tree grow faster or is it not the right type of fertilizer combination?

Miracle Gro seems to work on almost all my garden plants. Anyone have any ideas on fertilizer types for Monkey Puzzle trees? Thanx.

2. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

If this is an Araucaria araucana then I doubt it would have much effect. In my experience young plants are always very slow growing for the first 5 or 6 years (in southern Britain). They seem to put on a growth spurt once they reach this age or about 2-3ft in height. I assume they must establish a good root system first. Once the tree has established itself and the growth accelerates it can become quite tall, pretty quickly. I have watched a neighbours monkey puzzle (about 4ft high when planted in 2000) with great interest. They assure me they have used no fertiliser and yet the main leader is level with their upstairs windows (probably about 15ft).
    Luke

3. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Has anyone fertilized their Auraucaria Araucana Tree? If so, what did you use, and did it make the tree grow faster/stronger?

4. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Anyone??

5. Brian - Vanc. Island

Brian - Vanc. Island Member

I have a young MP (about 2 ft). I have been feeding it both fish fertilizer and Miracle Grow (24-08-16). It is strong and very healthy, but having nothing to compare it to, I can't say what difference it has made.

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Brian ... I hope the water situation in Tofino gets solved sometime soon. One would assume poor planning with over delevopment are the biggest contributing factors.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

7. Brian - Vanc. Island

Brian - Vanc. Island Member

You nailed it Barry. The "problem" has been identifed for some 12-15 years, but the water infrastructure has not been developed in pace with the booming tourist industry. Water storage is all that is needed.

I could see this situation coming and stored water in large garbage containers for the garden. We also recycle whatever water we can for gardening. I think I will be okay.

8. Shellie W

Shellie W New Member

I’ve watched my MP grow for 37 years. Never used fertilizer. Seems to love the coastal air in Washington State.