Please help with Marigold problem

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by dougsuekids4, Aug 29, 2006.

1. dougsuekids4

dougsuekids4 Member

Boy I am going to be on this site all the time, Sue NH here, My marigolds have shriveled,The flowers that is and the leaves are turning yellow/brown almost like they are burnt or not been watered in a long time.....(not so). I do have tweezers(earwigs) and snails(slugs) I think the tweezers are the reason for the flowers being shriveled,( Maybe the seven pesticide I used caused the leaves to die?) any suggestions/help on slug and earwigs? Tried beer traps(gross) they still keep coming back. Oh I have salted the buggers(directly on bug) and white vinegar works well also!)but only on bug, not on plants....so that is not the problem....

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I think the problem is all of the stuff you have put on the plants in order to save them. Dead head them and keep them watered. It is getting quite late in the season, so I don't think you'll get them back up to snuff by fall. Marigolds are normally pest free. Earwigs are not a problem, they eat dead plant matter not living plants. Applying vinegar and salt around the plants (not all of it will stay on the slugs) can't be good for the soil they are living in.

You should really never need to spray marigolds. If you have a slug problem try using the "slug bait" pellets instead of salt or vinagar. If you like to do it slug by slug, try picking the slugs with tongs and dropping them in a dish of soapy water.

3. dougsuekids4

dougsuekids4 Member

I tried the pellets with out much success..

4. shelli

shelli Active Member

Slugs can make a mess out of marigolds. I bought a few six-packs in the spring and left them on the north side of my house.. before I could plant them the slugs munched on them and made a terrible mess. I planted them in a sunnier, drier location and they are doing fine now, but that was in June. If your stems and leaves look dry and yellow the plants will most likely not recover, but I would move them to a sunny location. Slugs don't like hanging out in the sun, but marigolds do!!! :-) Dead head them, break apart the dry blossoms and plant the seeds in fresh potting soil. You may get a new healthy batch before the season is over!!!

5. dougsuekids4

dougsuekids4 Member

Thanks, What about blight? could that be it, I just made these garden areas this year, started with all fresh miracle grow soil, Any thoughts

6. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

IT may be Red mites, common on Marigolds. If Red mites, Wettable Sulfer should help.
    Observe rear sides of leaves. Attached photo of red mites.

Attached Files:

7. dougsuekids4

dougsuekids4 Member

not that?some one suggested stalk borers? have you heard of these?

8. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

If it is stalk borer, you will find stalks bored hollow @ dust oozing from bored holes.