Lichen on potted plants

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by larsonszoo, Aug 26, 2006.

1. larsonszoo

larsonszoo Member

Hi, I'm new to the site and seeking some help. I live in a floating home, so all my gardening is done in pots. This year, for the first time ever, I have lichen growing like mad on several of my plants, especially roses and jasmine. Is there a way to get rid of the lichen without damaging the host plants? My Peace rose in particular would break my heart to lose. It's getting old, but still produces the most beautiful blooms. Thanks so much for your help.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lacking a photograph, are you sure your problem isn't one of the weedy liverworts?

Ah, just noticed you said on the plants. In that case, lichens it is. Lichens are harmless, but I'd be interested to see a photograph.

3. larsonszoo

larsonszoo Member

Hi, Daniel. Thanks for the reply. While they may not be harmful, the lichens sure make the plant look unhealthy and unloved. Any tips for removing them? Thanks again. I've attached a photo of my jasmine. --Elizabeth

Attached Files:

4. myrrhmaid

myrrhmaid Member

You might want to try just peeling them off of the branch making sure it's not stripping the bark. Lichen can be dried & used as a natural dye for silk, wool or rayon.
    Lichens/moss have a tendency to grow on plants located on the northside of property.

5. larsonszoo

larsonszoo Member

myrrhmaid: Thanks. And I love the idea of dying silk with it. What a beautifully colored fabric that would make! --E

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a lot of growth for one year.

What the photos tell me is that your plants are struggling, since they are not growing fast enough to slough off the outside layer of bark cells. This allows the lichens to establish and flourish. See if you can improve the growth rates of your plants (better light? less water?), and you should then see fewer lichens.