peach-like tree in zone 3

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by finngreen, Aug 27, 2006.

1. finngreen

finngreen Member

Hi,

A friend here in the Eastern Townships of Quebec asked me to look at her tree. It has leaves like a peach and now, in late August, it has what look like elongated, still very green peaches on it, but the pit is very large with only a quarter-inch of flesh covering it. The fruit was about 2 inches long and slightly fuzzy, not smooth; the pit was corrugated like a peach pit (but it was very hard to remove the flesh to see it well). No picture, sorry.

I don't see how this could be a peach in zone 3; Reliance only grows to zone 4 and it should have ripened in late July, whereas this thing was far from ripe in late August. What else is in this family?

Thanks for any help satisfying my curiosity!!

Carol Harris

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If it has leaves etc. just like a peach tree, it's a peach tree. What do the flowers look like? Ornamental ("flowering") peach cultivars can have poor fruits.

3. finngreen

finngreen Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't tell you what the flowers look like because I didn't see them, but I'll ask her and relay your response. I wasn't aware there were such things as ornamental peach trees! Certainly the fruit looks "poor"; it's all pit!

Carol

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Many kinds have been selected and introduced. The first thing to determine is if it is a pure peach tree, and not a hybrid with something else, such as an almond. You might want to take a sample of the foliage and compare it with that of a known pure peach tree, if any are present near you.