Trumpet vine plant - information requested

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by msbb61, Aug 17, 2006.

1. msbb61

msbb61 Member

Re: Toggling the Right Sidebar

I would like to know a little about the Trumpet Vine plant. How long does it take to start blooming, and does it come up every year. We would like to plant it along our fence so it hangs over the fence.
    msbb61

2. scuzzycat

scuzzycat Member

I don't know if all Trumpets are the same but ours finally bloomed this year after a 5 year wait. Prior to blooming, the foliage would come up every year, quite vigorously actually, and hang over the fence. Your weather is warmer than here in BC so you may not have to wait as long as we did to get blooms.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi msbb61,

I had trumpet vine Campsis radicans in my zone 7 garden that I unfortunately inherited. I discovered it was that last plant to leaf out and the first to lose it's leaves in fall. It takes about 5 to 7 years for it to mature and bloom.

Since you are in the 'thinking' stage I would like to recommend that you consider a natvie honeysuckle that will rebloom all season and feed the birds berries as well as the hummingbirds. Lonicera heckrottii and Lonicera sempervirens are great alternatives and won't invade the environment.

There are several threads on this board about trumpet vine or you can do a google with something like: trumpet vine nightmare. Here's one of my posts about this vine.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=19829

Newt

4. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Be careful as there are some honeysuckles that are considered invasive, so follow Newt's advice!!

5. liabean

liabean Member

my correct post is under Re: Wisteria

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006