Propogation Of Grape Cuttings Successfully

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Jacki, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Jacki

Jacki Member

I would like to ask for guidance on propogating grape cuttings successfully.

After callousing the cuttings and producing small roots, and then planting the cuttings I can get the cutting to sprout one or two leaves. After they die and fall off and no new growth appears, I pull a few cuttings up and check on how the roots are doing -and there are no roots at all. The growth of the lfew leaves makes me think that the cutting is working out. What am I doing wrong?

I've read all the literature and websites on how to do this but for some unknown reason, the cuttings don't take off.

P. S. As a new member of the website, please let me know if I am on the right thread.
    I wanted to post to a "Grape Growing Thread."

Many thanks.

2. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

If you're attempting to propagate cuttings now, then timing may be your problem. Cuttings are best taken in Fall or early Winter. Here's a site with information on grape propagation: http://ohioline.osu.edu/b919/0006.html

3. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

The variety you are trying to start has an effect on the ease of starting. Muscadine is extremely difficult, but even within closely related viniferas (from the same source at the same time in the same growing chamber) my success rates average over 90% but vary from 100% to as few as 3 in 20.

One favorable combination that you may have difficulty achieving at this time of year without refrigeration is warm bottoms (80F), cool tops (45F). This has the effect of promoting root development while slowing top growth. If the top foliage develops before or too much in excess of the roots, then once the stored nutrients are used up your plant (though it is really not a plant yet) dies.

Ralph

4. amandac

amandac Member

I have a foolproof method. Take some cuttings (4 to 6") trim off lower leaves, wet ends and dust with rooting hormone powder, wrap ends in dark plastic (I used garbage bag) and fill with peat moss (slightly wet) and tie with elastic band. Place on top of refridgerator in dark spot. Will form roots in about 2 weeks, works with all kinds of cuttings. I have tried propagating many things without success and this works!!!

5. breakaway90210

breakaway90210 Member

A relative of mine who owns a vineyard told me one time to take a cutting about 6" long ,with leaves, and just put it in water and it will grow roots in time. I did this, and in about 4 weeks, my cuttings had about 12" of roots. I waited until the roots got a little thicker, but all-in-all about 8 weeks is all it took to propogate a grape cutting- with no rooting hormones or anything.....