bloodgood maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sasha wessitsh, Aug 18, 2006.

1. sasha wessitsh

sasha wessitsh Member

bloodgood maples - help

Hello everyone I'm a new visitor so please give me some time to get used to this forum. Approximatly three months ago I purchased a "bloodgood" maple from home depot. From what I've been reading here its probably not a true bloodgood but thats fine. I have a small condo so i have to keep the tree potted, it was in a 15 gallon pot and is approx eight feet tall. It has a thick trunk but is very wispy. At first it was very dark red then we had an intense heat wave of 105 - 115 degree weather which seemed to be burning the leaves badly so i moved the tree into the shade. Much to my supprise it started turning green and the leaves were still wilting. It seems that the tree was shipped from the east coast because it was planted in dense clay looking soil which seemed to retain a lot of water. Possibly i was over watering? I removed the tree from the pot to inspect the roots and soil and found that they seemed to be somewhat balled up. I loosened much of the clay like soil to release the roots and replanted it in the pot with a mixture of dirt from my garden, compost and left some 3/4's of the clay that the roots were attached to. I have also moved the tree into a location on my patio that is in the direct sun more. I am trying to water less only every 3rd or fourth day once the top 2-3 inches of soil are dry. Please give me some help so i can save and nurture this tree into a beautiful specimine like many i have seen on this page.
    thanks

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  2. agentf1

agentf1 Member

I am no expert but it sounds like you are on the right track. I know Maples like a good draining soil. I just put mine in a mix of 50% fir bark and haydite and 50% Miracle Grow Garden soil. It seems to drain real well and only hold moisture for a few days tops. There are a lot of good aggregates you could use in place of the haydite such as perlite, vermiculite etc etc... Do a search on here, there are a few good thread where soil is discussed. I think a little leaf burn in the heat of the summer is normal for these trees especially when they are in pots.

3. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes - you need to work on the soil you are using. Don't use garden soil in your pot: it'll get too soggy, won't drain well, and the roots will not get enough air. It will wilt, and you will be faced with diseases, as a result. In such a soil, getting the right moisture level, will be too difficult - in all likelihood it will stay wet too long. Use a container appropriate mix: you need coarser material, and the garden soil could have various undesirable substances. Try to get as much of the original soil as possible off the rootball. Do this when the the tree is dormant (fall or early spring, before leafbreak).
    If you say the roots were 'balled up' do you mean there wasn't any room left? If so, you might need to move it to a bigger pot, as well.
    The greening of the leaves is normal.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  4. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

Hi,
    I just wonder how is your maple now?
    I am about to get 8ft (2"caliper) Bloodgood myself. I have a pot 3ft dia (top)x 2ft dia (btm) x 2ft long. Is that big enough? Any advice fully app.
    Andrzej

5. sasha wessitsh

sasha wessitsh Member

My bloodgood is looking beautiful this spring. I probably should have transferred it into a larger pot but i think it going to be fine until next winter. Do not transfer it during the growing season. I am now using some bonsai techniques to shape the tree slightly. Good luck. If you have any other questions I will try and help you. I am a novice also.