Murraya paniculata-"Lakeview Standard Jasmine"

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Ter, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Ter

Ter Member

I have looked through the boards about these trees, but I am not finding information pertaining to my area (southern NJ-zone 6b). We purchased two of these at a local nursery and they are doing well in our garden. They are enjoying the summer in NJ with day temps above 80 and evening temps in the 70s. BUT...since they came with just a name tag, I figured they would do well in our garden year-round. That does not seem to be the case.

Now they have tons of buds that are bursting daily and giving us and our neighbors a great show and lovely scent to the air. My big question is what should I do over the winter with these beautiful small trees. I will bring them in if I need to (please help me on how I should do this with minimal shock) or we can put a hot box around them like some do with their fig trees in our area. What do you think? Were they meant to be a houseplant in our area?

Thanks,

Ter

2. Lonicera Lover

Lonicera Lover Member

Sounds like a lovely tree. My advice:When in doubt, go check out all the books on trees from your local library and search for info on yours.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

This is likely the case as the tree is classified as a zone 9-11 plant. Here is a factsheet.

4. 10thplanet

10thplanet Member

I believe the hardiness zone for these is 9a and higher (subtropics and higher) They'll probably die in a hard frost.

5. Ter

Ter Member

Well, they're definitely not hardy in my zone. I had found that fact sheet, after they were already in the ground. I guess I am going to have to move our two wonderful jasmine trees inside before fall, because it doesn't sound like it could survive the winter even if protected by a hot box. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best time to do this? One has been in the ground for a month and the other for about two weeks. Should I put them in pots now so the get over that shock, then move them to the house once the evening temps hit say 60? Thankfully I have a nice sunny southern exposure, enclosed porch for them. I may have to move my desk out there if they continue to bloom the way they do.

Thanks for your help. I'm really pretty new to gardening and I would hate to lose these.

6. 10thplanet

10thplanet Member

Jersey usually has those wonderful "Indian Summer's" and I'd wait till probably the last week of September thinking the cool nights might be good for the plants. I'd also use something like Superthrive (Google it) which will keep the plants at their fullest potential.