My lemon tree...thanks for info...

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by sarahere, Aug 15, 2006.

1. sarahere

sarahere Member

Any ideas how to make it better??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: My lemon tree...thanks for info,,,

How to make what better? - Millet

3. sarahere

sarahere Member

Hello, yes , how can I make this tree to bloom and any ideas on what type it is...thanks

sara

4. sarahere

sarahere Member

Hello, sorry the one message that I posted with all details on plant is gone,,,strange.. I will try and explain tree is 4 years old newly replanted looking better a few leaves still holey but ofther then that great, but no fruit ever, when and If will the blooms come and what will they look like? Thanks

sara

5. Morbius

Morbius Member

Has it been grown from seed and was the seed from a store bought fruit?

6. sarahere

sarahere Member

Hello, no the plant was bought when it was about half that size,, i think it had blooms at first but they fell off. I think it wasd becuase it was so undernorished. The new leaves is a good sign isnt it? any idea what strain this is? thanks alot

sara

7. Morbius

Morbius Member

Well, I'm no expert but it looks fairly healthy to me.
    As for blooms and fruit etc hopefully one of the others may be able to help you. They'll probably want to know where you keep it, how much warmth and sunshine it receives each day and so on.

8. sarahere

sarahere Member

Hey thanks for responding, I just recieved the tree a month or so ago and am trying everything to get it to bloom. I dont know very much about them but the thought of having a miny blooming tree is cool.
    I am keeping it outside right now its always around 20c or so I will move it in when it starts to get cold. I would take any suggestions you might have though. thanks

sara

9. Morbius

Morbius Member

Hello again Sara, I'm surprised no-one has got back to you by now.

If you're still at a loss, you can find all sorts of useful information at this forum just by typing in the appropriate search word(s).

Another good site that a few of the regulars frequent along with this site is http://citrus.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=citrus

10. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Hi Sara,
    I'm no expert, but most citrus trees are seasonal bloomers. Some lemons will bloom twice a year but most only bloom in the spring.

Skeet

11. Millet

Actually, Lemons bloom all year long. The largest/fullest bloom is in the spring, however, they produce some bloom almost every month of the year when given proper care. You stated that you only received the tree a month ago. To determin when your Lemon tree will bloom, we need to know if the tree was started from a seed, or if the tree is a grafted tree. You can determin this by looking at the tree's trunk about 3-6 inches abouve the soil. If the tree is grafted, you will find a graft union on the trunk. If the tree was started from a seed, you have quite a long time to wait for bloom/fruit. If it is a grafted tree it should have bloomed long ago. How much sun light does the tree receive? What temperature is the tree grown in? From the picture, it look as if there are actually two trees growing in the container. - Millet

12. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Millet, Is that true of all lemons-- some blooms every month? What conditions do you need to get that?

13. sarahere

sarahere Member

hI thanks for all the information, there is yes 2 trees and that wasx another question would you seperate them. and the tree is at least 5 years old before i recieved it and there is no grafting that i can see,,, it is kept outside and it is canadian weather I will bring it in , in the winter. I feed it 10-30-10, spray leaves every other week, it has great soil. Is this all i can do to keep it "happy"?

thanks

14. Millet

Sara, first of all the fertilizer you are using has a terrible formulation for citrus. Citrus trees always take up nutrient from the soil in the ratio of 5-1-3. This means for every 5 parts of nitrogen the the tree's roots absorb, the roots will also absorb 1 part phosphorous and 3 parts potassium. Your fertilizer's ratio is 1/3-1-1/3, You need to change to a fertilizer closer to a 5-1-3 ratio. Be sure that what ever fetilizer you choose, it also contains all the trace minerals. Second, your tree is probably a seedling, meaning that the tree was started from a seed. I came to this conclusion because: 1.) there is no mark of a graft union on the trunks, 2). the trees are five years old and do not flower nor fruit, and 3). there are two trees in the container (probably from two seeds being planted.) If indeed your tree is a seedling tree, you still have a long time to wait for fruit. Lastly, if it were my tree, I would cut out one of the trees. After all this time there would be considerable damage to the root systems of both trees, if you tried to untangle them in an effort to seperate them. - Millet

15. sarahere

sarahere Member

Hi thanks, wow the fertilizer said for flowering plants but I will change it ASAP thanks....so you think that it is important tto cut one down? do you think that they could harm eachother? could I clone the one i cut or try rooting it? Thanks again for all the information.

sara

16. sarahere

sarahere Member

Hi any idea when to start bringing in the house???

thanks...canada here