Acer dissectum lionheart

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Viet922, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Viet922

Viet922 Member

Has anyone seen this cultivar fully grown. I have an under 2-yr old plant and it looks somewhat like a crimson queen. It's supposedly to be an upright red dissectum.

2. agentf1

agentf1 Member

I have 2 but they are just 1 or 2 yr old grafts. I would love to see one also.

3. Galt

Galt Active Member

Not fully grown but getting there. The plant should look very similar to Crimson Queen as I believe it is a selection from that plant--if not, it is often likened to look very similar.

If you look in the lower right next to the large plant you can see a small 3 year old graft for a size reference.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

4. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Galt, how long do you advise staking a maple? It would be great if this autumn you would add some photographs of this tree to the Photo Gallery. That is a beautiful rock behind the tree; at least it looks to be a rock-trough for the birds

5. Galt

Galt Active Member

Lauire,

I think you are seeing a cross section of a tree trunk that is hollowed out in the center. It is not a stump, but just placed there. It has been there ever since we moved in. I just haven't got to landscaping that area, so there it stays.

As for the tree. The container is only 15gal and I plant to put it in the ground this fall. The tree has about 1.5" caliper trunk so the staking is not necessary but it came that way and I figure the extra support can't hurt. It certainly has no real functional value.

I have had it in full sun all summer (the photos was very early summer) and it has done well, but many of the lobes and tips are burned. I'll post a photo if there is fall color to speak of or if there are enough leaves to create much of a disply. The trees has new buds pushing all along the trunk so we'll se what happens. I hate to admit it but it was a bargain find at a local home improvement store. Pretty clean and in good health. Some times a guy gets lucky!

Cheers!

6. Viet922

Viet922 Member

You Lionheart looks very impressive. But I think it's a litttle too tall for a 3-yr old graft, unless it was grafted on a tall rootstock.

7. Galt

Galt Active Member

Are you kidding? The little tree on the ground to the right of the large Lionheart is a 3-4 year old low grafted Lionheart. It is about 2-3ft tall and has not been pushed for size since I have had it. Maybe you misread what I typed above.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  8. agentf1

agentf1 Member

Do you have any idea how old the big one is? I know they advertise them as being an "almost" upright but I didn't realize how upright they really are. I hope mine looks like that someday. Both of mine are smaller than your 3 yr graft. I am guessing mine are 1 yr grafts in comparison.