Is pine bark safe for Conifer soil mix?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by agentf1, Aug 15, 2006.

1. agentf1

agentf1 Member

Somebody told me that Pine Bark mulch has something in it that is bad for Conifers like Japanese White Pines. Does anybody know if this is true. If so how about for maples? I have a big bag of Pine Bark Mulch I would love to be able to use in my soil mix for the maples. Right now I am buying Fir Bark to use in my soil mix.

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

It's perfect for all of them... I can't imagine what you heard, but it's nonsense, unless they were referring to a batch that was treated with something unusual (not a normal practice).

3. agentf1

agentf1 Member

No, it is just the normal bags of Pine Bark mulch you buy at nurseries. I know the Fir Bark is a little more consistant in its size but I am mixing it in with my soil not growing Orchids in it. So I am fine using Pine Bark Mulch to mix in with my soil mix? I am also adding Haydite.

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

You can practically use straight haydite if you have it (or turface) for the pine, but adding the bark (no more than 1/3-1/2 of the mix, if that, is a good idea. What do orchids have to do with anything?