Aglaonema - rooting cuttings with water?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Plantcelot, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Plantcelot

Plantcelot Member

Hello,

One of my old Aglaonema Commutatum (Silver Evergreen) has grown too tall and it only has leaves at the top of it´s cane. It´s been creating flowers and seeds for years. I reppoted the plant 2 weeks ago and while my other aglaonemas are doing fine with the repotting this one looks weak with it´s leaves resting on the others instead of standing upright.

I was looking at the propagations options for aglaonemas and read that they could be cut and placed in water to root. Because my plant seems weak I believe it is the best way to try to save it.

The top of the plant has about 14 leaves. The total part of the plant I will like to cut and root is about 16 inches in lenght.

My questions about rooting in water are;

1. Will the long portion of the leaveless part that is already rooted on the pot die when I perform the top cutting , or it will regrow new leaves?

2. Do I have to cut any of the leaves from the top cutting in order to root the plant in water?

3. Could I root the plant in half distilled water and half tap water treated with a fish tap Water Conditioner?

4. Do I need to add a rooting hormone treatment to the plant or I could just use some SuperThrive in the water?

5. If all of these works, how long will it take the new plant to regrew roots and be ready for regular potting.

Hoping someone could help me with these, thanks :)

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

The simplest suggestion is not to root them in water at all, but rather in a mix for rooting cuttings. Some people like 1 part peat and 1 part sand others like perlite and vermiculite. I like 50:50 peat/perlite.

While they are an easy plant to root in water, water roots do very poorly when planted in soil (that is if they don't break off in the process).

I would suggest taking the cutting, dusting the wet end with hormone and sticking it in what ever mix you like. Make sure that the soil doesn’t dry out. In a couple of weeks you should see the leaves start to perk up again as their new roots are now able to draw up water.

Rooting cuttings in a solid medium has every advantage over rooting in water... except that you can’t watch the little roots grow ;)

3. Plantcelot

Plantcelot Member

Thanks for your reply :)

I have available both peat and perlite so I will do the 50:50 peat/perlite mix.
    I only have SuperThrive and I´m not sure if this will work instead of the rooting hormone.
    What rooting hormone product should I buy that is a good one to use with aglaonemas?
    Another quick question, will my original leaveless plant survive and will grow new leaves?

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

If you look near the plant foods in most garden stores/sections you will see little pill-bottle like containers of rooting hormone. Cheap, $3 or something and it will last forever. Careful or you'll start making cuttings of everything and run out or room! (I know...) There are a number of brand names, but it doesn't matter. What does matter is the strength. They are sold as #1,#2, or #3 getting increasingly stronger. You need the #1 which is the weakest and is meant for herbaceous plants, like yours.

"SuperThrive" is a fert, right? Don't feed any cuttings until they are well rooted and growing well. Besides, no roots, no feeding.

5. Plantcelot

Plantcelot Member

Thanks for all your help, I will get some #1 rooting hormone tomorrow and will proceed with the "surgery"!

By the way, SuperThrive's stated ingredients are .09% Vitamin B1, .048% Napthyl acetic acid. It is advertised as a "miracle product" and I have used satisfactorily with plants during transplants, with orchids, nepenthes and other carnivorous plants.

Thanks again :-)