Sick roses in my garden

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Charis, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Charis

Charis Member

Hello,

I have 3 rose plants planted last year by the landscaper and they aren't looking very healthy. The flowers never got a chance to bloom properly. They wilt and turn dark red (close to black) half-way through. I cut all the flowers this morning because they are looking very unttractive. Any help on how to care for them is appreciated?

Also, please help me identify what type of roses they are so I can do further research on them. I plan on having a rose garden on the other side of my house and would appreciate any help before I start investing.

Thanks.
    Charis

Attached Files:

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Looks like the climber by the fence is either climbing Blaze, or, I am afraid, the root stock, Dr. Huey. The shot of the flowers are to small to say for sure, but the canes and foliage look like the Dr. Huey in our garden. If this is the case, the original ornamental rose that it was grafted on has probably failed.

Is the one on the left supposed to be a climber? If it is it may well be Don Juan. The foliage certainly looks similar to the Don Juan in my garden.

Your rose flowers, like those in my garden, have suffered from the effect of too much rain. The flower buds "ball" and rot away. There is nothing else to do for it but to deadhead the damaged flowers. The foliage on the ?Don Juan, and the tall shoots on the climber suggest that they are healthy. Have you fertilised them yet this season?

3. Charis

Charis Member

Thanks W.G. for the informative reply. Attached is a closeup photo of the flower. I think this is a climber because it keeps growing in a weird way. The branches have been crawling across the ground. Actually, this wasn't planted against the fence .. it's on the hill 4 feet away from the fence. I put a trellis behind it to try and keep it together. It looks really messy where it is and I want to move it? What is the best month to do so?

I have been away for a while so my garden was a bit neglected and of course the rose bushes stopped flowering. I think one of them may even be dying. What kind of fertilizer should I get? Is it too hot to fertilize right now? Also, i have been leaving the sprinkler on (about an hour or so) until the the whole garden is soaked. This is because i have other plants in the perimiter that look thirsty. Is this bad for the roses?

Attached Files: