Huge screw in Cedar Tree

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by that dee girl, Aug 4, 2006.

1. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

Our neighbour decided to put a huge screw to hang a hammock in our cedar tree. We are wondering if this will hurt the tree at all, or am I just mad for no reason?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If it's on your property you can take it out. Maybe wait until he is in the hammock and asleep. Be sure to have your video camera rolling and on a tripod.

If he screwed it into a part of the tree that is hanging over his property that is a different matter.

Chances are the tree will continue to live and grow until well past your time there with the screw in it, depending on the particular circumstances. If it happened a destructive decay agent got in through the wound the tree might have its life cut short, on the other hand screws are used to cable trees together that appear to be likely to split apart otherwise.

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Another factor to consider...I have found that some conifer species are somewhat sensitive to the zinc on galvanized fastners (I've seen Scots pine killed that way). If a stainless steel bolt was used, that's great, if not, there may be a detrimental effect that will manifest itself in 5-10 years.

Simon

4. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

thanks for both of your quick replies. The tree is definately on our side of the property, & when we paid to have the canopy lifted on it, they had no interest whatsoever in helping financially.
    Even though I am appalled that they wouldn't even ask if we minded the enormous hook, I really am interested in whether it will become decayed & fall on our house.
    I highly doubt that it is a stainless hook, do you think I should have an arborist come to look at it?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's on your property, installed without your consent. Your objection to this latter point is enough by itself, makes whether or not the tree is endangered a secondary issue. If you cannot get them to take the hook out and there is some reason you cannot remove it yourself, then spend the arborist consulting fee on getting someone to help you deal with the problem of getting the hook out. No hook, no problem.

Regarding the hook threatening the tree as an academic exercise, it depends on the particular circumstances--whether or not a decay agent gets in, what the hook is made of (apparently)...

6. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

thanks Ron, I am going to leave the hook as I don't want to get into a whole neighbour thing. As long as the hook probably won't do any damage, then it can stay. As for putting it in without asking, well, it's seems today, that "sense of entitlement" is prevelent everywhere.
    Thanks for taking the time,
    dee