Identification: Sarcodon imbricatus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by allelopath, Jul 27, 2006.

1. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

Is this Sarcodon imbricatus?
    fka Hydnum imbricatum, so I read.

Is the title of a thread editable?
    There is a typo

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Re: Sarcodon imbircatus

Sure looks like Sarcodon imbricatus to me. Some people really like eating them (maybe because they are easy to identify and can be considered a 'beginner mushroom'), but I'm not too crazy about them. I see you are in NM, and finding the same exact species I'm finding up here in the Rockies right now. Are you going to the Telluride, Crested Butte, or Buena Vista mushroom festivals? or the Annual Denver Mushroom Fair at the Botanic Gardens? All these events are in August and I can give you more info if you want.

3. allelopath

Re: Sarcodon imibricatus

As far as its edibilty goes:

"Edible, but of poor quality. Many collections have a bitter taste and parboiling does not necessarily help, plus it causes indigestion in some people." (from Mushrooms Demystified/Arora)

"Only mild, young fruiting bodies should be eaten, as this fungus makes some people slightly ill" (from Mushrooms of Colorado/Evenson)

So, I can't get too excited about eating them.

Probably not going to any of the festivals...I was at Telluride last summer (i really dislike the town, but the hiking is good)...easier just to stay here and collect

4. allelopath

Here is a better photo that I took today. The teeth are easily visible.

Attached Files:

5. chickenofthewoods

chickenofthewoods Member

Yeah,
    Can't we just call it "Hydnum" now, or do we still have to call it Sarcodon?
    Don't get me wrong, i like Sarcodon much better, i just hate explaining away taxonomical evolution every time i see one in the forest.

And as for the smooth capped one, are they bitter also? My experience with this mushroom was a bitter one...

And can it not be used to dye fabrics?

Hey Allelopath, You were at Telluride last year, hunh? Me too. I have volunteered for the last three years, and now it's gone caput!!

Art Goodtimes apparently has had enough. Anyone know of a "replacement"? Does the New Mexico club have a fair/show?

Hey, MycoRob, when is the Crested Butte event? And the Buena Vista (never heard of that one)?

Hey, peace all.

Oh - i found some white kings last night, jesus that is some good food!!!!

6. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Chickenofthewoods;

Crested butte is the 17-20 of August. I'll be there from the 18th to the 20th.

The 10th Annual King Boletus Mushroom Festival will be August 26 – 27, 2006 in Buena Vista, Colorado.

Not sure when the Telluride festival is this year. Have a flier at home though.