How Do I Keep My Neighbour's Bamboo From Rooting In My Yard?

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Suntower, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Suntower

Suntower Member

...It's up against my fence and I can see it constantly trying to work it's way into my garden on the other side. I kill roots when I can, but I can't help but feel that it's still sucking the life out of my plants. Is there anything I can do to discourage it from moving in my direction (I can't sink a new fence at this time.)

Thanks!

---JC

2. Brian - Vanc. Island

Brian - Vanc. Island Member

Not easy without sinking a barrier. How fast that it grows into your garden will depend on the species. One way (but takes some work) is to use a shovel in October and early November to dig a line to make a barrier along the fence line cutting off all the shooting rhyzomes.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

why not use a barrier? Your local arborist supply shop should be familiar with the products from Deeproot, they have a water barrier that is usable as a bamboo barrier, thinner and on a running roll rather than in sheets that link together like their tree root barrier.

www.deeproot.com

4. booboy

booboy Member

Your neighbour should be responsible for keeping it on his side. Or you can get me to remove it for free if it is a variety i like

5. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Wow! go with BooBoy's advice! LOL I'd like some as well! But seriously, your neighbour needs to take some responsibilty for this problem.. What you need is a solid barrier dug about 5' (yes I said 5') into the ground along the property line..otherwise learn to like it. aggresive... Deb

6. booboy

booboy Member

wb 36 is a deeproot product. You can get it from Ray at tropic to tropics. It is 3 feet and sufficient for 99% of bamboos

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I am sure you can get root barriers through any good landscape supply stores. In Vancouver, Northwest Landscape and Stone Supply carries them in rolls. Ray Mattei at Tropic to Tropic will ship.

If you like to go for a less expensive but more labour intensive method, dig a narrow trench along the fence line or border with your neighbour's property, about 18-24 inches deep. Cover with mulch. Every year, in late spring and again in late summer, early fall, uncover the trench, and using a square shovel with well sharpened edge, slice through any rhizomes that you find crossing the trench.