lemon tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by jimhill2, Jul 30, 2006.

1. jimhill2

jimhill2 Member

hello, i started two lemon trees' from a lemon seed last july. one is around 5 feet and the other is around 3 feet. when will these trees produce lemons. what kind of pruning do i need to do. i live in southern illinois and i bring them in during the winter. thank you, jim

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

No pruning what so ever on containerized citrus trees. The length of time depends a lot on how you grow them, especially through the winter. Any way count on 10/15 years until fruit. Go buy a grafted lemon tree ($40.00 to 50.00) and have fruit now. - Millet

3. jimhill2

jimhill2 Member

thanks millet, where do you sugest i purchase a grafted tree?? thank you

4. Millet

You can call or E-mail Anna at Brite Leaf Nursery (Florida) to order. Brite Leaf' Nursery's sells one year old GRAFTED trees. They should begin to bloom in one year. Some times they even come with fruit on them. Her trees are $20 to $30 dollars. I have purchased trees from Brite Leaf and have alway received nice trees. Here is their web address http://www.briteleaf.com/ take a look at all the varieties that they offer. At their prices you can get a couple trees. - Millet

5. jimhill2

jimhill2 Member

hello, what kind of lemon tree do you recomend? also my mothers birthday is soon and i would like to get her an orange tree, is the dwarf trees very good. looks like briteleaf is out of a lot of there trees and not much to pick from we live in so. illinois, so what ever tree would work with that climate. what is the average life of a citrus tree, on that will stay in a pot. thank you

6. Millet

Eureka, Lisbon (the common store varieties) or Harvey lemon. You can also get a Meyer "Lemon" which is not really a lemon, but a cross between a lemon and and orange. Dwarf trees are every bit as good as a standard. Citrus, can easily live many years in containers. I am aware of a containerized orange tree growing in a Catholic Convent/Monastary in New Jersey, that is 125 years old. In fact the NJ convent tree was started as a cutting from a tree growing at the orders's Catholic Mother House in France, and that tree has now lived to be over 800 years old. The mother tree is repputed to have been planted by Saint Dominic, the founder of the Dominican order of friars, himsel. There are many other examples of very aged citrus trees. - Millet