Problem with Pine tree Sap

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Namflow, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Namflow

Namflow Member

I just moved to a new house and the Pine Tree next to my driveway is dripping Sap onto my car. Is there anyway to rectify this short of cutting the tree down? Will this happen all year long? Thank you in advance.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Build a simple roof over the car's parking space.

The resin will dissolve in a small spot of melted butter rubbed into it, then you can wipe it off with a rag; that shouldn't damage the paint on the car.

3. Namflow

Namflow Member

It is not feasable to build a roof over the parking spot. Plus I don't own the house- just renting for a year. Any other suggestions? Is it normal for Pine trees to leave sap on the ground all year round? Is there anything I can do to the tree?

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

park somewhere else? pine trees and many others will drip sappy stuff or will have some insect effluent, if you cant put a barrier (ie roof) between it and the car, then the other options are cut the tree down, or move the car. you could tarp the car? one of those car covers that is washable?

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Definitely, DON'T cut the tree, then - likely illegal to do so (as it belongs to the landlord, not to you), and the next owner/renter may well want that tree