Help please

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by susan134, Jul 27, 2006.

1. susan134

susan134 Member

These are plants on my neighbors farm. Can anyone identify?

Thanks
    Susan in ky

Attached Files:

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

#5 looks like Buffalobur or Solanum carolinense? Harry

3. chowntown

chowntown Active Member

Could #1 possibly be Albizia julibrissin?

4. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

#5 is definitely Ambrosia artemisifolia, Common ragweed. Harry, I can see where you're getting the burr idea...the pic doesn't show scale very well.

I second the Albizia.

5. wrygrass2

I thought I saw some spines on the leaves, but it's probably just the remnants of leaves after being chewed on by whatever insect was eating on it and the hairs of the plant. Harry

6. smivies

smivies Active Member

Also agree with #1 - Albizia, #5 - Ragweed. I think #4 is Common Burdock (Arctium minus). What are we trying to identify in #3? Is it the unfocused flower stalk in the foreground or what looks like a Catalpa in the background?

7. josephine

josephine Active Member

Albizia and Mimosa are one and the same, right?

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, except in mis-conceptions. Albizia is a genus of Asian trees; Mimosa is a genus of tropical American and African herbs. But the latter name is sometimes mis-applied to the former plant.

9. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

Yes, Josephine, plant #1 is known (wrongly) as Mimosa thoughout most of the midwest. Also known as Silk Tree, but I've never heard anyone call it anything but Mimosa.

And smivies, I also thought Arctium minus for #2, but then I took a good close look at it. This is a shrubby plant with stem and branches (though not necessarily woody). Burdock is a low plant with each leaf coming directly out of the ground...sorta like rhubarb. But I don't know what else it is. It's very familiar to me, but I can't place it. For one thing, I can't get a good look at a single leaf...they're all jumbled up on top of one another.

10. wrygrass2

Hi,

NOT: Actually I think Smivies was referring to #4 for the Burdock, but I think the blooms and leaves are wrong there too, although I can see some resemblence in the leaves. With the 4 sepals, my first though was a rather dry Philadelphus for #4; but that was just a thought, not a firm identification. :) :NOT

Actually after looking at the #4 closely I agree with Smivies. The shape of the plant is right, and the flowers though blurry are typical of Arctium. Especially the bloom top left in in front of the wood background that is in the light. And when in bloom they do put large woody upright growths, although usually less than 1.5m (4.9ft) according to Flora of PNW. Harry

11. susan134

susan134 Member

#2 and #4 are the same plant just different views. This plant gets Hugh leaves. As for it being burdock, doesn't burdock get burrs?

Susan in ky

12. wrygrass2

Yes Burdock gets some very serious burrs. And the involucre bracts should be hooked at even this stage. If this plant doesn't get burrs then perhaps a closeup of the flowers would help with the id, at least for us old fogies that have trouble making out what is there to begin with. Looks like Ginger Blue is right again. :) Harry

13. susan134

susan134 Member

I'm confused about #1 now. Is this a silk tree? I have a tree that look like this in my front yard. I took that photo because it as a piece of the tree bulldoves down and easy to get a photo of. I am an herbalist and if I can ID some of these plants and trees, I hope to use them.

Susan in ky