clematis

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by pccrozat, Jul 16, 2006.

1. pccrozat

pccrozat Member

hello
    i just got an unexpected opportunity to take some cuttings of a clematis that i really wanted to propagate.
    i am not very well prepared for this. i will go to a book for the techniques but does anybody have any tip? i would really like to be successfull with these cuttings
    tx
    pierre

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

One book that I have suggests that the buds that grow out of the leaf nodes are the tissue most likely to form roots. So with the cuttings I've taken, I have tried to ensure that one of these buds stays on the stem if I strip off the leaves, and that at least one such bud is under the soil. And, some of my cuttings have been successful!

I think the book actually suggests that a leaf with a nodal bud attached will root on its own. Can't lay my hand on the book at the moment to confirm that.

3. pccrozat

pccrozat Member

do you cover your cuttings to keep moisture?

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't cover them to keep moisture in, but then I did say that only "some" of my cuttings have been successful :-)

In a fortunate coincidence the book to which I was referring turned up last night, and so I can improve on my advice given from memory with improved information. According to "Flowering, Fruiting, and Foliage Vines: A Gardener's Guide", by Chuck and Barbara Crandall, leaf-bud cuttings can be taken in early spring: "one new-growth leaf, with a growth bud in the leaf axil and one to one and a half inches of its stem," will be dipped in hormone rooting powder and "inserted into the rooting compost in prepared holes."

Of course you do not have the choice of timing, but can still look for leaf buds.

5. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Clematis cuttings look a bit different than a lot of other stuff, just a 2 inch stem with the leaf on top...there will always be a bud in the axil of that leaf. If the distance between leaves is short, you could cut a section with two leaves, and remove the lower leaf, might get more rooting from the lower node...but normally the cuttings are just the one leaf.

These aren't the easiest to root, and depends a lot on the variety. Some are very easy while others are very low %. Intermittent mist is best, but for a small setup, I would just cover the cuttings to keep up humidity, and keep them out of direct sun. I also keep the media around 20C. with a heat cable.

Give some air at least once a day, because fungus is often a problem on these warm, moist cuttings...some people would suggest routine fungicides because of this tendency.

6. pccrozat

pccrozat Member

thank you for the advice. my cuttings are looking a bit sad, but we are having a heat wave and temperatures go up to 40° C...i have take the cover off but they are in the green house...we ll see!