Protecting fruit from roof rats

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by westcoastgarden, Jul 22, 2006.

1. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Locally there is a problem with roof rats. They are everywhere and while we put out traps and catch quite a few every year, there are always more out there.

The good news (I guess) is that they are not norway rats (which are around here too just thankfully not in my yard). Roof rats are apparently vegetarians but they are also good climbers.

I have lost two years of strawberry crops to them. I also have lost most of my grapes every year.

The grapes are starting to annoy me. They are growing on an arbor in front of our property line fence. When I shine a light at night I can see the rats sitting on the arbor eating the grapes. Yuck.

This years crop looks like it will be especially heavy. I do not want to feed the rats again this year.

Any suggestions on a barrier or something I can put up?

We continue to trap but will not use poison.

Thanks!

2. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

westcoastgarden: Your 'roof rats' are Ratus ratus, and are called roof rats because frequently, they will live in the 'roofs', or attics of houses. These rascals are nervous when exposed and try to stay near cover when they move about(their nightly forays to your fruit trees, for example). Knowing their propensity to want to stay hidden, you have an advantage in your trapping. They will run adjacent to foundation edges, snugged up against fence bottoms, etc. Even if you see no identifiable 'runs', you can be sure that their foray path(s) will crowd up against some vertical protection. By creating an aisleway by setting a couple of stacked bricks about 4-6 inches from a wall where they can be presumed to be running, you can funnel them right to your traps. Or, put a concrete block about the same distance from a wall 'run' and accomplish the same thing. I have nothing against using poison on these critters except the fact that, for whatever reason, should one die in your attic or in the wall of your house, you will be treated to one of the most ungodly stenches you were ever so unfortunate to experience. Bad to the point of people taking out a wall to remove the dumb rat! You might try a cayenne spray on your fruit to discourage them. (Remember to rinse the fruit and your hands before eating).

3. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

I have heard of people using electical fences to keep critters like rabbits, dear, etc. out of their gardedn. You might want to try that. Just remember to turn off the fence before you try to pick the grapes.

4. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Yes, I have experience with the odor of dead ratus ratus. Ick.

I was speaking with the local health inspector (on another matter) and he told me that traditional rat poison is no longer effective. Apparently the rats have become immune and it actually bulks them up!

Egads.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

westcoast. havent heard that yet, any further detail? or was it an off the cuff remark regarding the pesticide effectiveness? What rodenticide were you using or talking about that is considered non- effective by this health inspector? Warfarin base? Ratak type?

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Got one with Warfarin several years ago, black with a long tail. Was waiting at the garage door when I opened it to walk the dog. Went out and flopped on the lawn, immediately attracting a crow. When got back with dog rat was gone, thankfully.

7. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

The rat poison I used at my new house a couple years sure worked well, we had dozens of rats, now we have none. From what my friend in the structural pest control business tells me, that rat poison dehydrates rats, and they search for a water source outside and not too often ever die in the home or building. Bromzdiolome 0.05% Is the Ai on the label, I think, its kinda hard to read. And it says it it kills Warfarin resistant rats.

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

there are a number of warfarin resistant rat poisons, the strongest available here is Ratak, I believe the Ai is Brodifacoum.