Identification: Calvatia booniana

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by allelopath, Jul 20, 2006.

1. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

Can someone confirm or deny that this is Calvatia booniana (Giant Western Puffball). Found in northern New Mexico, USA on a forest service road (ie dirt) in a mixed conifer forest at about 8500 ft asl. That's a US quarter for size reference.

It seems like an easy id, but its the first one of these I've found and I don't want to get cocky.

If it is C. booniana, how does one prepare it for dinner?

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Regardless of the species of puffball ... if the inside is pure white with no hints of yellow or darker colors, slice it or cut it into chunks and treat it as if it were tofu.

3. allelopath

>>yellow or darker colors
    these render it inedible?

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

yes! Remeber the standard puff balls you stepped on as a kid -- with black spores that puff up when stomping on them? The insides start out white, then turn yellow , then turn darker and are ready for spore release. Spore release is caused from anything ranging from kids stomping on them to tiny rain drops falling on the mushroom. They are only edible if they are pure white inside. When they start to turn yellow, I have noticed a slight disagreable smell, as well. I have tried some when they were just starting to turn yellow and they tasted bad, and I subsequently spit them out.

Good luck

5. allelopath

Sliced it last night, it was white as snow, so we sauteed a couple slices, yum.

6. chickenofthewoods

chickenofthewoods Member

REAL tasty mushrooms, them 'ere pufballs....