Hummingbird Vine

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by PHILLIPS82, Jul 19, 2006.

1. PHILLIPS82

PHILLIPS82 Member

I HAVE A HUMMINGBIRD VINE THAT IS NOT BLOOMING. IT IS 2 YEARS OLD. DO THEY HAVE TO BE LIKE 3 OR 4 YEARS OLD TO BLOOM OR I AM DOING SOMETHING WRONG? PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ANY IDEAS WILL MAKE ME FELL BETTER. THANKS

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello PHILLIPS82,

I am assuming that by hummingbird vine you mean Campsis radicans also called trumpet vine (strong growing vines with large trumpet-shaped flowers, most often orange or shades of red or yellow.)

Two years is probably not old enough to bloom. You may just need to give it a year or two more. If that is the correct plant they also do not like rich soil, so don't fertize or pamper it.

There are other plants called hummingbird vine, so try some searches to see if that is the plant you have in mind. You can use the Search function (on the green bar at top of page) to look for threads about Campsis, or try a seach for trumpet vine.

Also if this is the plant, they are considered invasive in many areas. Keep it under control.

Good luck,

3. PHILLIPS82

PHILLIPS82 Member

YES I AM TALKING ABOUT Campsis. AND THANK YOU. I JUST COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHY IT WAS NOT BLOOMING YET. I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE B/C IT IS VERY HOT AND VERY VERY DRY DOWN HERE IS SOUTH ARKANSAS. BUT ANYWAY THANKS VERY MUCH.