More plant identifications please!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Taya, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Taya

Taya Member

Hi again!!
    Recently came back from another tour of Ontario, and photographed lots more plants (about 125 photos). There are a few I can't seem to identify and was hoping you could help me out once again. I love this hobby, but find the identification part quite frustrating, even after buying several wildflower field guides! Thanks once again for your patience and assistance!!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'll start this one off - number 3 is an Achillea (or yarrow).

Where were these photographs taken? (prov. park, nature park, city park?)

3. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

I see you've already got names for some of these. The first picture, labelled smooth blackberry, looks about right. The second one, labelled black medic, looks more like wild mustard, Sinapis arvensis. The third one is indeed a yarrow, probably Achillea millefolium.

The first image in the third row (wf91-289-2) looks like common speedwell, Veronica officinalis. The one to the right of it (wf86-277) looks like red clover, Trifolium pratense.

4. Taya

Taya Member

Thanks so much, so far! I've checked them out and you both seem to be spot on. I wasn't sure about # 2 whether it was mustard or medic.
    Number 1 & 2 were found (all in Ontario, mostly in the central and northern areas) in the Six Mile Lake Provincial Park, number 3 roadside in Parry Sound Ontaio, number 4 in Grundy Lake Provincial Park, number 5 in Inverhuron Provincial Park, numbers 6, 7, 8 roadside on Manitoulin Island and number 9 at Chutes Provincial Park, between Sudbury and Saulte St. Marie.
    That leaves #5, #8 and #9. I think #5 was several days from opening, and that makes it difficult. I seem to recall #8 was on a flowering bush, and I am thinking it's between the flower and fruit stage, if that helps. Number 9 I am not all sure about. I thought maybe an aster, like frost aster, but again, don't know.
    Hope someone out there can help!
    Taya

5. Taya

Taya Member

Also #4 has me really puzzled. I've called it sarsaparilla, but I am not at all sure about this one. It grows in rocky barren areas, and grows profusely!
    Taya

6. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    I haven't got any information about Ontario wildflowers but #6 is a speedwell (Veronica) and #7 is a clover (Trifolium). I disagree on #2. #2 is certainly a mustard family plant (Brassicaceae) but it is clearly not Sinapis arvensis which looks very different (see e. g. my photograph http://www.flogaus-faust.de/e/sinaarve.htm). If the plant grew in Europe I might think about the genus Barbarea or possibly Sisymbrium but I clearly do not know this plant. Robert.

7. Taya

Taya Member

Thank you Robert, you may be right. Number 2 may be wintercress (barbarea vulgaris) in it's first year of growth. It didn't look much like common mustard, as the leaves were different. My research came up with the following:

Winter Cress (Barbarea vulgaris)

This annual or biennial plant from the mustard family has shiny green foliage and bright yellow flowers that may reach 3 feet in height. The plants take the form of a basal rosette during the first year of growth. At maturity the flowers of several mustard species, including Wild Mustard, resemble those of Winter Cress. However, the large terminal lobe in the leaves of Winter Cress helps to distinguish this plant from all of the other mustard species.

8. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

Thanks for catching that, Robert. It seems wintercress is correct.

Taya, what you're calling sarsaparilla would appear to be just that: check out bristly sarsaparilla, Aralia hispida. It's supposed to thrive in sandy, rocky, barren areas.

#5 looks like a Joe-Pye weed (Eupatorium sp.). I'm not sure which, as there are several species.