Red Japanese Lace Leaf- greening out?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by theresa_7576, Jul 18, 2006.

1. theresa_7576

theresa_7576 Member

HI everyone!-

I have been seeking an answer to my question for several weeks now and I can't seem to find it. I have a gorgeous maple that loves where it is planted- I live in southern michigan, and planted this last year. This year it is so full and there is no leaf burn or any problems with it. However I noticed- the foliage seems to be a lot greener than last year- now granted much of it is new growth- but I thought each spring there is going to be new growth- so what gives? When I bought this tree the leaves were 95% red- and now the tree is probably 50% red. Am I doing something wrong? is there anything I can do to get the red color back during the summer months?

Any suggestions would be great!

Theresa

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Too much shade?

3. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

It could be in too much shade but I have found that as the years go by and they establish themselves that they tend to retain their color better.

4. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Cultivars also vary in leaf hues depending on the amount of sun and shade they receive, so if you can find the name of the maple you purchased and tell us how much sun the tree is getting, perhaps we could assist you a bit more with this.

5. theresa_7576

theresa_7576 Member

Hello!

Thanks for all the help so far. I think it is a red Lace leaf Japanese Maple.. now if there are different type sof those I don't know. It is on the North side of my house
    and my garage runs along the east side of my house. So the only direct sun it gets is when the sun starts to move over- so maybe mixed sun from 1p-6p? The whole top portion of the tree is maintaing the red . The back that is closest to the house is more green, but that area is much fuller than it was last year. It looks almost chameleon like with the red going to green- it is pretty- but I'm just curious where the red has gone? If needed I will trim a couple of leaves, and scan them in color and email them over to someone if they think it will help.

I really do appreciate any info!

Theresa

6. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, it depends which cultivar it is, but a few of the red lace leaf maples, are red when the leaves first appear, but do tend to green up with age, and the lack of sun certainly will not help it, I would sugest moving it during dormancy, to a sunnier spot, hope this helps.

Ashizuru...

7. theresa_7576

theresa_7576 Member

Thanks for the tip- I love how it looks in the location it is in, so I guess I will sacrifice color in this situation-

Thanks again!