Coffee Grounds

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by NanceInWA, May 14, 2006.

1. NanceInWA

NanceInWA Member

Hi all,

I just found out that coffee grounds (free at your local Starbuck's and other coffee shops) are great for keeping slugs out of your garden. Add a 1 inch layer around the plant(s) with the slug problems and mix thoroughly into the soil (i.e., don't just use it as mulch). I always thought cofee grounds were acidic, but in fact they are neutral and can be used for most all of your garden.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there!
    Nance

2. Kara

Kara Active Member

Great tip.

I also read coffee grounds are great for members of the lilium family.

I save my used coffee grounds and used loose tea.

But never thought to ask the coffee shops for their used grounds.

Thanks for sharing!
    Kara

3. greendude

greendude Member

Well I have heard they are good in the compost but this is new - I'll have to try that

Thanks Nance

4. OstaraGypsy

OstaraGypsy Active Member

my plants love their coffee grounds! i used to work at a local coffee shop, and would bring home a big bag most days. and we saved grounds for many gardeners who would stop by for their regular pick up. Most shops would love to share the wealth :)

i never knew about the slug control! that's great bonus!
    ~erin

5. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

Is there a reason why I can't use coffee grounds as a mulch? I use that on my rhodos. Should I mix it into the soil? Of course, my garden smell like a coffee shop! LOL

6. campanula

campanula Member

I became quite the coffee scavenger after learning about this last year. I even provide a coffee shop with a step-top rubbish bin, with an inner bin having its own bail handle. Easy to hose out between loads. I swap out the bin for another container as often as I visit.

I have not used the UCG as mulch. I've heard tell (but have not verified) that a layer greater than a few cm will form a crust. Great for keeping weeds at bay but not great when your plants need water. I dump the stuff into the compost heaps or use it as a top dressing round the plants. Roses and hydrangea seem very appreciative.

I had not heard of its repelling slugs! All the more reason to keep bringing it home.

7. bctahitianfruit

bctahitianfruit Active Member

i don't know about the slug thing.. we have peticularily verocious slugs here on the west coast. i do know that earth worms absolutely love coffee grounds. in my compost where there are layers of filters and grounds it is just absolutely silly with worms, (took me 3 years to convince my father in law that his grounds should go in the compost NOT the garbage because the worms love it soo)
    the only thing i have found that works really well for slugs is beer traps, and pine needle mulch(under my bluberries, which by the way also love coffee grounds) or crushed egg shells. anything prickly or copper mesh, they won't cross it. but it is no where near as satisfying as choppig the suckers in half with a spade!

8. groovyjoker

groovyjoker Member

What a great post, since I am a grind-yer-own coffee nut, and have two compost bins - one for the worms, one for the flies! And I have slugs - But with the amount of coffee we drink, we generate enough grinds to feed everyone!

Thanks Nance!

(snippet removed)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  9. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Here is a link to the United States Department of Agriculture which describes research done to test the effectiveness of using coffee grounds as slug control. It appears as though research was conducted with some success.

A couple of points to make about that. Coffee grounds will not be sold commercially to control pests until it becomes registered in Canada (or anywhere else for that matter). Of course there is nothing stopping homeowners from using their grounds or grounds from coffee shops. I am certain that Starbucks will only advertise coffee grounds as a soil amendment in order to avoid any problems. Also, the coffee grounds effectiveness in killing slugs also raises the question about its affect on beneficial organisms.

Raakel

10. bctahitianfruit

you know now that i think of it i remember reading something in national geographic about that. though i haven't found it all too usefull. though i may try again. thanks for the resorceful info..never hurts to try

11. Seedhead

Seedhead Active Member 10 Years

Well, yes, but keep in mind that they tested a very high concentration of caffeine. Coffee grounds themselves only contain a fraction of the amount necessary to control slugs, which is why coffee grounds as a slug control has been widely discredited.

Still, they are indeed good for the garden because worms love them, so keep tossing them.

12. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Hi
    You may want to access the "coffee grounds" in the search section of this site as there has already been quite a lot posted. I always throw them into my compost as worms seem to like them.
    Anyone know if coffee attracts bears?
    Margaret

13. fern2

fern2 Active Member

Watch out though - I've found that the grounds are quick to develop a white fungus or mold which is great in a compost but a potential hazard to plants when applied directly to the soil...

14. ginkgo nut

ginkgo nut Member

I guess that explains why my lillies finally started looking better...I have a patch of trumpet lillies right outside my kitchen door and out of sheer convenience, I began dumping all my coffee grinds onto that area. They have looked terrible for years and I was getting ready to get rid of them and redo the spot, so thats why it became a coffee grind dump. Well this season they look like new plants!

15. congomama

congomama Member

never heard of coffee attracting bears around here....i do know that you can start a "worm farm" using coffee grounds only and the castings are priceless!!!!

16. bctahitianfruit

no i really donot think bears are too keen on starbucks :) i wouldn't imagine that it would attract bears.. actually we have a bear come to our yard and he doesn't touch the compost, prefers garbage! didn't even touch the appplea on the tree and squash int he garden.. i geuss it depends bear to bear..