Spruce at Big White?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Lindsay Horner, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Lindsay Horner

Lindsay Horner Member

I have just visited Big White near Kelowna BC (the snow and skiing was excellent). The conifers over the mountain appear to be all the same species. I asked numerous people and they all said "spruce". I'm from Sydney Australia and conifers are a mystery to me. My enquiring horticultural mind would like to know what the trees are.

2. T. Shane Freeman

T. Shane Freeman Active Member

I don't live anywhere near Kelowna, but I have travelled through the area several times. If the trees that you are referring to are actually spruces, then chances are that they are Engelmann Spruce (Picea engelmannii) which are native to Kelowna and the majority of the Rocky Mountain strip. I can't remember if I saw White Spruce (Picea glauca) that far south of the Canadian Shield, but some may be found in pockets throughout the countless valleys and ridges.

If you had travelled north of Kelowna to Jasper National Park and beyond, you would have run into Black Spruce (Picea mariana). In addition, if you had of travelled to the west coast around Vancouver, you would have been surrounded by Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensis). This species is also commonly known as Coast Spruce because they only reside on the west coast of North America and not inland.

Kelowna has many Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) in its vicinity. To a passer-by, they could easily be confused with a spruce.

I'm sure that there are a few others that aren't coming to mind, but if so, the others on this site will fill in the gaps!

3. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi Lindsey (gday) T.Shane (kudos) The majority of the spruce trees around Big White are infact engllman (pardon the spelling) However an interesting note is that in early 50's alot of that area burned and the B.C.government at the time was experimenting with helo seeding of different varieties. one being rocky mountain blue spruce. the Idea was that the trees were planted in a sugar based test tube that when dropped from a helli would penitrate the ground and supply a food source for the tree.