potted CO Blue Spruce is dying on me - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Unregistered, Mar 9, 2004.

1. I recently bought a potted Fat Albert Colorado Blue Spruce for a friend in lieu of a Chrismas Tree. I was planning on waiting till the spring, when it'll be warmer here, to plant it, but it seems to be dying on me. We live in an apartment in NYC, so I am wondering if lack of light may be an issue. We've had it near a window, but not in direct sunlight.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanking you in advance,
    Josh

2. gobo

gobo Active Member

Put it outside. You have a balcony? Out of direct sun/wind for a few weeks. If it isn't too far gone it may recover and be ready for replanting.

3. T. Shane Freeman

T. Shane Freeman Active Member

Be careful not to kill the tree with too much love! Over-watering can be as detrimental to the vigor of a tree as not receiving enough moisture. The easiest way to tell whether a tree (or plant) needs watering is to see if the soil is moisture-free. If the soil isn't visibly moist, then it is time to water!

Picea pungens (Colorado Spruce) prefers rich, moist soils in full sunlight. However, they can also prevail in drought conditions. Therefore, you will want to do as 'Jimmyq' says and get this tree outside in the sun where it belongs. By doing this you will enable the tree to better photosynthesize (create energy) and transpire (transport water and nutrients), while also allowing the potentially saturated soil to evaporate and return to ideal growing conditions.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

did I say that?

5. T. Shane Freeman

T. Shane Freeman Active Member

Oh, my appologies.....

I directed the kodos towards 'jimmyq' when 'gobo' was the one who should have received the recognition. I think that I had just finished reading a response by 'jimmyq' and therefore didn't clue in to my own ignorance!

Sorry for any misunderstandings!

6. gobo

gobo Active Member

no offence taken here.

as for the sun, yes, the recovery-by-helping-photosynthesis idea seems sound. i still recommend an acclimatizing period out of the direct sun and wind though, as the tree will have some adjusting to do already in making the transition to outdoors. i'm not sure of the physiological reason (wig-out?) but experience tells me that being as gentle as possible when introducing great environmental change to a tree improves its chances of survival.

also it's precisely what i did with my wife's (dying) tabletop "christmas tree," and it worked.

7. Be carful if you did in fact over watter the tree, At this time of year in NYC it is cold. YOU COULD CRACK THE POT WITH THE FREEZING WATTER. If so the roots could be exposed and this will kill the tree especilly in a fridged inviorment.