Miniature Roses

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by bellegurl, Jul 9, 2006.

1. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

I have 4 miniature roses in pots on my patio. I was wondering how to care for them in the winter months. Should I bring them into the garage? By the way, I live in Vancouver, British Columbia.

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I grow all of my miniatures in 3 to 5 gallon containers. I have a "cold" unheated greenhouse which I manage to keep just above freezing over the coldest of the winter days. Your miniatures should do fine in your garage as long as it is frost free and cool. Bring them out in early spring as soon as there is no risk of sub zero temperatures. Do not overwater, but make sure that the potting media do not dry out completely.

However, different varieties of miniatures likely have different degrees of cold tolerance. Some may overwinter just fine outdoors if the potting media and root ball can be kept in a position where they are not subjected to freezing - e.g., burying them in a sheltered position, and then covering with mulch.

I think I have lost more container miniatures due to poor drainage than true winter kill. Therefore, I find that it pays to take those extra steps to ensure good drainage when I pot up the roses. I put a 1-2 inch layer of lava rock in the bottom of the container, line the layer with landscape fabric before potting up. (Lava rocks are lighter than gravel and makes the containers easier to handle.) When overwintering the containers outdoors, I choose a location which provides some shelter from rain, e.g. under the eaves, or cover them with a tarp or plastic sheet.

3. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

Thank you. That was very helpful information, indeed!