rose bush not blooming

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by IslandGirl, Jul 4, 2006.

1. IslandGirl

IslandGirl Member

I have a question regarding one of my rose bushes. The bush grows nicely but it does not bloom. Do you know why a rose bush may not bloom and what can I do about it. I live in NY and have several rose bushes but I am having trouble with just one of the bushes.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe rootstock left after scion grafted onto it died, that is not able to bloom under heavy annual pruning regime. This is common.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

How old is the rose bush and what variety of rose is it? If it is a climber, it may take 3-5 years before it really gets going. If it is a once flowering variety, it may not flower for the first 2-3 years. What kind of growing condition is it in? Does it get enough sun?

4. Mae

Mae Member

Does it get enough sun? Roses need minimum of 6 hours of sunlight.

5. Bflyindasky

Bflyindasky Member

my mother in law adviced me to often prune my rose bush every after the flower done blooming, feeds it with a good fertilizer. I personally use Bayer Advanced 2 in 1 systemic Rose & flower care. (I works for me!) Roses are very sensitive plant if you have water it well(mornings), fertilize it(every six weeks or so), make sure it has enough sun(like Mae said) then the only one short is show love and be patient.
    Call me crazy! but, I talk to my plants! as a matter of fact, as far as I know, they are living things.Even I know that,and I'm not a tree hugger!

6. ngawangchodron

ngawangchodron Member

I am a great believer in bone meal (I can remember putting it in the holes while transplanting plants with my grandmother). Last year I discovered the product "Rain Grow Bloom-a-Long" which is a liquid bone meal that you dilute in water. I have been watering with it about every two weeks, and everything seems extremely floriforous!! Although bone meal is primarily good for rooting, it also promotes flower formation. Did the rose bush bloom in the past? As the other posts mentioned, sun is the most vital thing for roses.