What is it? Leaves of three...help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by shelia, Jul 9, 2006.

1. shelia

shelia Member

Hi again. I seem to think that everything in my yard is poisonous. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that this plant is Poison Ivy? I oh so hope it is not. Thanks.
    Shelia
    Poisonivy1.JPG

Poisonivy2.JPG

2. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

Doesn't appear to be poison ivy. But I don't know what it is. The pic isn't very clear on the fine detail.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree with Ginger Blue. The serrations on the edge of the leave are much finer than typically seen on serrated poison ivy leaves (poison ivy often has leaves without serrations). I'd also expect the leaves to appear glossier at this stage.

4. shelia

shelia Member

Sorry the pictures aren't clear enough, I was chicken to get too close. I will take some more when the wet weather clears.
    Thanks

5. shelia

shelia Member

I hope this picture is more helpful. The file size is larger, and I tried a different setting on my camera. Hope it is better.
    Thanks again. Shelia

poisonivy3.JPG

6. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

If your concerned about it being poison ivy, can you not just put pants and boots on and dig it out? (don't burn it, toss it in the rubbish.)

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I still don't think it is poison ivy. For [WIKI]Toxicodendron[/WIKI], Wikipedia specifically mentions:

8. shelia

shelia Member

It may sound strange, but I would have to wear a Hasmat suit. I get it so badly and easily that breaking the plant, even when I am covered, makes me break out. And I learned the hard way about how it travels in smoke. One time someone burned it, near my home, and I had the rash in my nose and down my throat.

9. shelia

shelia Member

Thanks again!!!

10. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I just remember the story of a father burning some, and his two kids were playing nearby inhaling the smoke. They both had it in their lungs. I don't think they died, but I'm sure it was a close call. I don't seem to react myself, but I know many a camper who squatted in a bad spot.

11. shelia

shelia Member

That's awful! I think since my daughter was born (28 months ago), I have and almost irrational fear of poison ivy/oak/sumac. I know I need to get over it, but it has been hard.

12. Taya

Taya Member

Poison Ivy actually has a noticeable stem on the larger top leaf, and a glossier look to the leaves. Heres a shot I found that shows poison ivy more clearly. Yours could be fragrant sumac, but if you are that sentsitive, I wouldn't mess with it. Send someone else out to dig it out...

Attached Files:

• ivy.jpg
      ivy.jpg
      File size:
      89.8 KB
      Views: