Identification: Pseudo-Jade (Crassula?) with cernuous red flowers

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chanticleer, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

I acquired this plant last winter, from one of those "assorted 3 inch succulent" trays at a local florist. It's quite dainty; the larger plant towering above it is a Christmas cactus in a 6" pot. The attached image was taken in mid April, just as the cactus began to form a second crop of buds. I apologize for the blurriness.

The leaves are similar to a Jade's, with a red tinge along the edge, and a little pointed tip. The cernuous flowers persisted for several weeks, after which the plant seemed to lose its vigour. A month outside has produced new growth along the now prostrate stems, however.

I'm usually very good at identifying my purchases, but this one has me stumped. Even a confirmed genus would be helpful! Cheers.

unknown-succulent.jpg

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Well it sure looks 100% like a jade, maybe check with the GW cactus forum and see if anyone can help. It may just be a new variety bred to produce flowers in ideal conditions (which you may never be able to replicate!).

3. cactologist

cactologist Member

I don't think this is a jade (if by jade you mean Crassula argentea or C. obovata or C. arborescens) I'm pretty sure it's a Kalanchoe, probably Kalanchoe uniflora. They are all in the family Crassulaceae.

4. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

Thanks for your replies! While it does look very much like a Crassula species, the flowers are quite distinctly different. Cactologist's suggestion of Kalanchoe does seem likely based on flower morphology, but my specimen's leaves are not crenulate-- which I believe would rule out K. unifolia, and (as far as I know) most other Kalanchoe species, except perhaps K. arborescens.

After poking around succulent pages a little more, I noticed Cotyledon orbiculata. Its flower is identical to mine's, right down to the little leaves halfway up the long, thin scape. The foliage is highly variable, but a Google image search presents many similar morphs. All have the red margin and pointed tip. It's also commonly sold in the trade. Does this ID seem likely to anyone else? I may take Rima's advice about the GW forum, but this place itself is quite fertile with knowledge. ;)