Tree ideas

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ktran, Jul 4, 2006.

1. ktran

ktran Member

It looks like i lost my italian cypress, I am currently looking for an alternative tree that will grow up to 20 ft tall. I live next to condos and want privacy from them and want a tree or plant that will grow tall enough to block their upperlevel view from my backyard.

I prefer an evergreen tree or even a fruit tree that won't drop it leaves in the winter time. My backyard is probaby only 500 ft of dirt. Please advise.

Thanks,

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What killed the cypress?

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Without knowing where you are and your growing conditions, Ilex crenata 'Mariessi' would fit your situation well. Other choices would include varieties of English holly, juniper or cedar.

If you want a faster solution, it may be worth your while to build a trellis. Even without a vine, a trellis will provide a great deal of privacy. Good luck!

4. ktran

ktran Member

I live in Los Angeles Ca. My friend had the italians and want to remove them to plant fruit trees, I told them i that would dig all 16 up and plant in my backyard. Sadly, all but one is dried to a crisp. Thanks for your feedback, I really appreicate it.

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the suggestion of Ilex crenata Mariesii. I have had this plant for a decade and it is barely 6 feet tall. The website linked above also states it is a very slow growing plant, and it isn't very tree-like. I do love the plant; I marvel at its attractive foliage frequently, but it is no fast-growing privacy screen.

The suggestion of a trellis with (or without) a vine, on the other hand, is an excellent way of getting privacy quickly. Below that, you can then plant whatever young trees you think may eventually meet your needs. Trellises don't last forever anyhow, and when the trees are up, the trellis can come down.

As for which variety is best, you may not have been that far off with the Italian cypresses. I'm wondering whether they might have failed in part due to the timing of your transplantation. Especially if they were big plants, it is almost essential to do this in fall when the trees can (even in LA I presume) have some cooler, moister months to establish their root system before they face the summer sun and drought. If you plant new plants in fall, and maybe start with fairly small ones, that type of tree may do fine in that location. Otherwise maybe you just want to go with some tall hedging-type Thujas (cedars) (again as mentioned above). Wichita Blue junipers are also a possibility, and are beautiful to boot.

You can also set up a privacy screen using some fast-growing deciduous trees to provide cover for slower-growing ones, removing the fast growers as the slow ones reach the desired height. Maybe spend some time at a local garden centre to find some you like that will meet your needs in both the short and long term and will thrive in your climate.