4 Flowering Shrubs That Need ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by P34NU7, Jul 4, 2006.

1. P34NU7

P34NU7 Member

Hi, all.

I've been happily lurking here for a while, but this time I've got some shrubs that I just can't find in the piles of archival posts on the same topic. I just moved into a new house that was landscaped before I got here, which means I don't know what any of the plants in the yard are. I've managed to ID some of them on my own, but there are still 4 that I'm at a loss on. I know I've seen at least a couple of these before, but I'm lousy at remembering plant names.

1. Has no flowers or berries that I can see
    2. Small red berries on a couple branches.
    3. Currently has small clusters of what looks like dried flowers (I'm assuming there will be flowers in the spring)
    4. Tiny white flowers down in the middle of the plant, newer leaves are bright red, older leaves are darker green.

I know these will all be easy. :)

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Evergreen azalea
    Sadankwa viburnum
    Indian hawthorn
    Heavenly bamboo

3. plantlady62

plantlady62 Active Member

4th picture is nandina domestica, clump forming bamboo. Spikes of white flowers in summer, at least here in Pa., followed by speckled red flowers. Don't want to attempt the other 3 as you have a lot of different plants than I do on the east coast.

4. P34NU7

P34NU7 Member

Yay! Thank you!!!

5. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

I just wanted to clarify that Nandina domestica is called "Heavenly Bamboo" by some people. But it is not the same thing as a clump forming bamboo. That's a term usually used in reference to true bamboos which don't behave in a running fashion.