Concord Grape Question

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by jmccarver, Jun 19, 2006.

1. jmccarver

jmccarver Member

I have a beautiful grape vine, very healthy but won't produce grapes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Perhaps take a soil sample to a nursery. I don't know the requirments for grapes, but concords don't normally need a lot of coaxing. Has it flowered?

3. jmccarver

jmccarver Member

It's in it's second year and did not flower but the vines and growth of leaves is outa this world. Too much fertiziler and water?

4. redstepchild

redstepchild Member

I have the same issue here. I will post something if I can find out what causes this.

5. jmccarver

jmccarver Member

No, it didn't flower. I wonder if I took to good of care of it, it was very pampered.

6. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Well, do other people grow that grape there? It is much cooler here and people grow that grape a lot. Perhaps it is too hot an area there, I have no idea. The only other thing I can think of is light: Is your vine in full sun? It's too late in the year now, but stress might help it bloom. Next year, if you keep the vine, try cutting in back hard (and I mean really hard) at the end of winter and not watering it until it has finished flowering.

This is all totally a shot in the dark, but if I'm wrong then I'm sure we would both like to hear how. :)

M.