Identify Saskatchewan flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by thirstbuster, Jun 11, 2006.

1. thirstbuster

thirstbuster Member

Hi Guys,

I am trying to identify another flower. The picture was taken about 30 minutes north of the city of Regina.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

3. thirstbuster

thirstbuster Member

Wow, that was incredibly fast! Thank you so much. I have had the picture since fall, and haven't come across it on any online guides!

4. thirstbuster

thirstbuster Member

Do you people think it would be harmful to try and grow these flowers in my yard? They are really beautiful, and apparently like the saskatchewan weather!

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Seeds or plants should be easily available at local nurseries. Only it may not be hardy for you, so might be effectively an annual.

6. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Your plant is Gaillardia aristata, native to the Canadian prairies in general, and with a very broad distribution. It is extremely cold hardy. (And, if I interpret correctly, you live in the general area in which you're seeing it, so, yes, it is hardy in your zone.) It is not at all fussy as to conditions, i.e. average prairie garden conditions suit it fine; it's noninvasive, and spreads by self-seeding. As stated, many selections of this species (similar to the wild form or with different colors and flower forms) are available at local nurseries, or can be gotten as seed.