Sad camellia

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by CarrieS, Jun 24, 2006.

1. CarrieS

CarrieS Member

This is my first attempt at posting a question, so here goes. I have a camellia, which I believe is a camellia japonica, double flowering (evergreen). It is a little tree, about 5 feet tall, was here when I bought my house, and is at least 7 years old. I have watched it for the past couple of years, and although surviving, it doesn't look healthy. Here are the problems: very little growth, lime green leaves that curl downwards, and many turn yellow and drop off; some go very brown and definitely dead; the white flowers last for a very short time, turn brown around the edge and fall off. It was originally in a retaining wall that received all day sun. I have moved it to a location with late afternoon/evening sun in the summer, and light shade all winter, as I am pretty sure it was just too hot before. Can someone offer some suggestions as to what might rectify some of the problems noted above? Thanks.

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

It needs feeding and is probably dry at the roots..........they don't mind heat providing the humidity is high.

3. CarrieS

CarrieS Member

What do you suggest for feeding?

4. chowntown

chowntown Active Member

Hi Carrie,

I had the same problem with my Jury's Yellow Camellia. I had it in a pot in full sun and leaves began to turn at first lime green then yellow and the flowers didn't last nearly as long as they should. I moved mine to a shady spot underneath a tree and its regained its natural dark green leaves and is looking great right now. Make sure you use a layer of bark mulch around the base your plant to retain the moisture.

Yellow leaves mean the plant is getting too much sun or not enough nitrogen. Look for a fertilizer with a high first number (ex. lawn fertilzier 14-4-8 is high in nitrogen) or throw some magensium sulphate on them (epsom salts)
    -Eric