Alberta Spruce "sport"?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by newhomeowner, May 8, 2006.

1. newhomeowner

newhomeowner Member

We recently purchased a new home with 10 adult (about 20 years old) Dwarf Alberta Spruce trees surrounding the property. We would like to know about one tree in particular that looks like it is mutating. We were told that it could be experiencing some kind of "sport" or mutation. Rather than the usual tight pine needles, this one trees has a branch sprouting out that resembles a full-size Fir or Spruce tree branch. We do have some full-size spruce trees on the outskirts of our property. Could they be cross-breeding? Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area. We are entirely new to horticulture and landscaping in general.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's a reversion to the typical plant. I have seen multiple instances of this. Prune it out.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

likely a genetic reversion. the dwarfism is the abberation that has been exploited, the natural looking fir branch is likely the parent plant trying to get out. remove the branch where it originates witha proper pruning cut and it may not re-emerge.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(merged threads, hence the duplicate answer)

5. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

May I ask, is it important to remove the whole branch it originates from, to stop it from regrowing? Or could one just snip it off the tip where it starts? And I wonder how tall it would grow if it was left on? Or would it just stay dwarfed?

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Prune out at point of origin, cutting back farther would spoil original. Typical growth will probably take over eventually if left, I have actually seen at least one example where I am almost postitive this was the case--only a compact base of dead branches remains to tell the tale.

7. tribes

tribes Member

If you look closely at the sport it is likely just Picea Glauca aka White Spruce.