nematode effectiveness against slugs?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by haunted, Jun 20, 2006.

1. haunted

haunted Member

I've lost the battle with the slug but intend to win the war. I've seen nematode products in the stores and would like to know, from people who have used them, how effective they are? I thought it was sort of pricey. I don't want to buy something that only gets half the job done.

I've used other types poison that weren't supposed to harm other animals, but they didn't seem to harm slugs either. Bait traps seemed to increase the problem. I'm hunting them down and killing them morning and evening but there are too many.

Do they work?

thankyou in advance
    haunted

2. Just Curious

Just Curious Active Member

Some nematode species do work on slugs but they won't completely get rid of them. As you mentioned, they are expensive. They are also very sensitive to uv, evening applications are best. Water them in thoroughly and keep the area moist for 10 to 14 days after application.
    One method of slug control that has worked for me is to use sand as a top dressing. I apply an inch or so to any area where they can hide. If they can not get in or out of their daytime homes, most won't survive.

3. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Ducks love slugs. Unfortunately, eagles love ducks, so we have to refill the duck pond regularly, but they eat loads of the little slimers. Muscovy ducks are reputed to be the best for this purpose; though domesticated they are still genetically very close to their wild South American ancestors and are less likely to re-enter the food chain thru the local predator population.

Ralph

4. haunted

haunted Member

Thank you for the advice.

I'm not sure I can sand over my garden but I'm sure I can smaller parts.

Ducks don't like it here. They keep wondering off to the lake behind our house. Better pickings there I guess. Once they get to the lake they are gone.

I just lost two more plants.(sigh) I went out and killed last night but by this morning the entire plants had been eaten to the ground.

Thanks again
    haunted

5. Shirleyj

Shirleyj Member

I use ammonia and water 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water sprayed on the plant and on the slugs. I have also head that toads will eat slugs and am trying to attract them to my garden

6. lanarkcp

lanarkcp Active Member

I use almost the same water/ammonia recipe - 9 to 1. I'll reduce the ammonia a bit now to see how it works. How do you go about attracting toads?

7. haunted

haunted Member

I used the ammonia 1-10 and most of my plants died. I mixed it then poured it in the garden. I must have done something wrong.:(

8. lanarkcp

lanarkcp Active Member

You spray only the leaves. It lasts a short period and then breaks down into nitrogen and ?? Perhaps an expert in this forum could explain exactly what happens. You have to spray regularly.