Alien Plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Leeta, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Leeta

Leeta Member

I haven't been here for awhile. I found a plant that looks alien(first two photos). Does anyone know what it is? The next photos are flowers from two different bushes in my yard. The bushes are intertwined and they have two different kinds of flowers. No clue what they are. Don't know how to take care of them. They stand about 10 feet tall and are very full. The flowers have no scent, but they are both beautiful. Help me if you can. Thanks, Leeta

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

The white flower shrub is philadelphus, not sure about the first two photos

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cranesbill
    Deutzia
    Mockorange

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Unusual for the Mockorange-Philadelphus not to have a strong smell of orangeblossoms, hence the name. Could be just the wild variety that I see that has a strong odor. Harry

5. Leeta

Leeta Member

Thank you, I thought it looked like a Mockorange blossom. Like you I expected it to smell delicious, but it doesn't. It doesn't have any flowers on it now. Leeta

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably Philadelphus inodorus.

7. wrygrass2

Ron B.
    I thought you were pulling my leg with the inodorus but looked it up anyway. Who would of thought that someone would find a way to fool mother nature and make a mockorange that didn't smell of orange blossom. :) Harry

8. Leeta

Leeta Member

Yes, this is my flowering, no frangrance bush! Thank you for taking the time to look it up. Now you know I wasn't pulling your leg! What about the first two photos? They don't look like cranesbill to me. What else could they be? Leeta

9. wrygrass2

Crane's bill refers to the seedhead and in this case makes it a Geranium of which there are a lot of choices. Possibly a wild variety someone collected. Did you see the blooms? What color were they? The link is to a USDA search for Indiana geraniums. The 5 lobed (palmate) leaf is typical. Harry