Identification: Identification help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by twall, Jan 4, 2004.

1. twall

twall Member

This plant grew about 1.5' before I figured out to pinch off its shoots, now it's a lot more scraggly than it used to be. The plant is about 5' tall now, and I'd like to know what it is so I can better figure out how to care for it.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello,

This is Nolina recurvata (formerly known as Beaucarnea recurvata), commonly known as the ponytail palm. It is native to Mexico, and can reach 10m in height.

Nolina recurvata factsheet from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (with care tips)

Beaucarnea recurvata factsheet by the US Forest Service and hosted on the University of Florida Environmental Horticulture site (NB: the plant is indeed native to North America (i.e., Mexico), contrary to the information on this factsheet)

Nolina recurvata photograph from the University of Montana UC Gardens

3. twall

twall Member

Thanks!

4. twall

twall Member

Additional Questions

Beaucarnea recurvata factsheet by the US Forest Service and hosted on the University of Florida Environmental Horticulture site (NB: the plant is indeed native to North America (i.e., Mexico), contrary to the information on this factsheet)

This reference indicates the plant flowers one or more times a year. I have never seen my plant flower. Why would that be?

The reference also indicates no pests are normally seen on the tree, but I have a big problem with some sort of white mite (tiny white nodules attached to the leaves and base of leaves on the trunk). I wash them off periodically and use neem oil solution, but they keep coming back.

5. Lindsay Horner

Lindsay Horner Member

That's a Pony tail plant.
    beaucarnea recurvata

6. This plant is commonly called a Ponytail Palm because of the resemblance of the grouped palm fronds to fall like ponytails. I am unsure of the Latin name. Be forewarned, they can grow very large and are often found in conservatories.