Gardenias

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by bellegurl, Jun 14, 2006.

1. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

I have found that gardenia plants are very difficult to bring to bloom! I have had one for a few months. It has many buds on it, but in all that time, only one has bloomed. One has even fallen off unopened. Does anyone out there have a special secret that will coax it to bring forth those beautiful, fragrants blossoms? Thanks!

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Some info on how it's living would definitely help - like how much sun does it get for how long each day (that's usually the main reason plants don't flower - not enough light), how much and how often and how do you water? What is the temp like there - Gardenias like to stay in cool places.

3. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

Hi. I water it enough to keep the soil moist. I live in Vancouver, B.C., so the temp is fairly moderate--18-20 C indoors. It is sitting on a north-facing window. I have recently put it there. It wasn't by a window before. I hope this info helps!

4. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Had one years ago. Did the same thing. They seem to need very high humidity.

5. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

6. bengy

bengy Member

Have 4 gardenia's shrubs, 3 in the ground & one still in a pot but will be soon transferred to the ground comes springtime. Those 3's (in the ground) give me heaps of sweet scented flowers every year.Young gardenias need a lot of TLC, as they get older they become quite hardy. They're acid loving plants & need to be protected from strong afternoon sun. It's really worth having them in the garden esp for their strong-sweet fragrance.

7. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

Thanks for the info--I did not know about high humidity--I will try that! Anything to bring a bloom!