Please help identify new plants in my garden

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Charis, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Charis

Charis Member

Hello everyone,

My first post. I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now and wanted to post some questions but not sure where to start. I am very very new at gardening and this forum has taught me so much. I am also quite amazed by the graciousness of the posters and the knowledge some of you have.

Anyway, I had a landscape done in my backyard last year but didn't have enough plants planted. This year, I want to move some of the plants around and add more. But first, I need to identify the plants so I'll know how tall and wide they grow and if they produce flowers. I also have some problems with some of the plants but that belongs to another thread.

Thanks so much.

PS. The last attachment is in my front yard and has been there for at least 15 years. It has pink beautiful flowers but it is also often covered with aphids. I tried to pull it multiple times but it keeps coming back. I'll probably keep it if I can figure out how to take care of it.

Attached Files:

2. Charis

Charis Member

Just adding another attachment. This is growing all over my new garden and I have been pulling them. However, I started thinking that these may not be weeds but part of that rock plant (ground cover) with small pink flowers that I planted years ago. That was a beautiful plant but was eventually invaded by weeds due to lack of care.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

top left to right, Philadelphus, Spirea, Escallonia
    2nd row Leucanthemum and a Weigela
    3rd row Kolkwitzia (i'm not sure on that 1) Euphorbia probably robbiae and a Phlox paniculata

4. paion

paion Active Member 10 Years

Top left picture looks more like a Deutzia than a Philadelphus, I agree with oscar on the rest. The plant in the pot is a Gnaphalium, an annual weed.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Mockorange (Philadelphus), double cultivar like 'Minnesota Snowflake'
    Spiraea
    'Frades' escallonia
    Shasta daisy
    Weigela
    Kolkwitzia
    Mrs Robb's bonnet (Euphorbia)
    Phlox? Aster?

Pot is cudweed.

6. Charis

Charis Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I have googled the plants and I now have some idea on how they will look like when they mature.

I do have a question on Kolkwitzia. This was planted last year and although it's growing very well, there is no sign of it producing flowers. Does anyone know how many years it takes for it flower?

I had to laugh about that weed that I have been gathering in small pots. I thought it was this (see attached plant). I believe it's called diantus and I stumbled upon it while surfing the net.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2006
  7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Charis - since the question about Kolkwitzia is a new topic, you'll get a better response.

Also, I've removed the attachment in your previous post, because I don't think it's your photograph - we do our best to honour copyright on these forums.

8. Charis

Charis Member

Ooppps, my apologies Daniel. The image had the author's watermark on it so I thought it was ok. I was going to post a link but I couldn't find it.

And thanks for steering me to the right direction on Kolkwitzia.

9. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

Kolkwitzia throws rather twiggy "fishing rod" branches the first year and then flowers on them the second year. They need to be kept a bit in check or the shape goes right off the map. In Victoria they will get 9x9', but as they are very drought proof and deer proof, they get my vote.
    Anne